It is our desire to provide a meaningful, relevant and well-supported educational experience for each assistant, regardless of his/her experience level. Please read the following important OMSA course information. Once you are registered in an OMSA course, more detailed information will be Mailed to you in a “Confirmation of Registration” packet and your Login information and Password will be Emailed to you.
The OMSA Certificate received by taking this course is an "Industry recognized certificate of completion" and not a State or Board recognized certification, permit, or license.
- Format for the OMSA course:
1. Didactic self-study curriculum composed of narrated PowerPoint Presentation videos to be viewed on-line prior to the weekend webinar. These videos are divided by Systems: e.g. Cardiovascular, Respiratory, Endocrine, Immune, etc. Each module will have short on-line quizzes that must be completed before continuing to the next module. After viewing the videos and completing the quizzes, students will be required to take an on-line "Practice Final" to ensure that they understand the material that was presented.
2. We utilize chat and forum technology to provide instructor feedback and extra help for students who are struggling with various concepts. The faculty monitoring the forums are oral surgeons who are CALAOMS OMSA Committee members.
3. At a two-day weekend webinar we present a review of the material learned in the on-line self-study curriculum. The weekend culminates in an on-line Final Exam.
- Currently, OMSA certificates are valid for 5 years. You must Recertify by the end of the year your Certificate expires (we do not hold you to the month, just the year). Once your OMSA certificate expires, you will be required to register as an "Initial" and repeat the on-line self-study portion of the course. Extensions are not granted.
- We encourage everyone (Initials and Recerts) to sign up as soon as registration opens to allow for more on-line self-study time.
"OMSA Spring 2021":
Initial course: Registration open October 28, 2020 to February 1, 2021
Recertification course: Registration open October 28, 2020 to March 1, 2021 (You must have a Current OMSA certificate to register as a Recert)
Webinar attendance is required for Initials & Recerts: Saturday & Sunday, March 6 & 7, 2021 from 9:00am-4:00pm
Please check back periodically for an update on more 2021 OMSA Course offerings.
Link to OMSA Course Registration page