Please Read the following information before registering!
Starting in 2021, your OMSA Certificate will only be valid for 2 years. You must Recertify by the end of the year that your OMSA Certificate expires. (We will honor the expiration date on your current certificate.)
Format for the OMSA Re-Certification Course:
You will have up to 4 months to complete the Course.
To be eligible to participate in the OMSA Re-Certification Course, you must have a current BLS (Basic Life Support) certificate* and a current OMSA Certificate. Please do not register for this course until you have these items. After you’ve registered and provided a copy of your current BLS and OMSA certificates, CALAOMS staff with process your registration and email you a “Confirmation of Registration” packet. You will also receive two emails with your Login instructions and Password from “firstname.lastname@example.org” within 10 business days. Please Fax BLS and OMSA certificates to CALAOMS at 916.772.9220.
*Classroom-based BLS course or online BLS course work with in-person skills testing is accepted. Online only BLS course is not accepted.
“OMSA Re-Certification Course”: (For those renewing current OMSA certificates.)
Now comprised of 3 courses:
1. Optional (strongly recommended) "OMSA Re-Certification Course" - Didactic self-study curriculum composed of narrated PowerPoint Presentation videos. There are multiple videos for each "System".
- Cardiovascular System
- Conduction System
- Endocrine System
- Immune System
- IV Therapy
- Office Anesthesia Emergencies
- Outpatient Anesthesia
- Respiratory System
As a recertification student, viewing the videos and taking the Practice final is optional and not required. You will have access to them for up to 90 days from the date you register in this first course in the 3-part program. Once you are finished viewing this material, you will be added to the "OMSA Final Exam Review Course" and your 30 days to complete that course will start when you are added.
2. Required - "OMSA Final Exam Review Course" - Review lecture videos given by OMSA Committee members. You will have up to 30 days to complete this second course in the 3-part program. Once you have completed the "OMSA Final Exam Review Course" you will be added to the "OMSA Final Exam" course, and you will have up to 21 days to schedule and take the proctored online final exam.
3. Required - "OMSA Final Exam" course - The final exam will now be taken online, and it will be Proctored. You will be required to take the final exam from a desktop or laptop computer running Windows or Apple operating systems along with:
- Webcam (internal or external)
- Functioning Microphone (often incorporated in your webcam)
- Latest version of “Google Chrome” or “Mozilla Firefox” web browser installed
- Government issued photo ID
You will have up to 21 days from the date you were added to the "OMSA Final Exam" course to schedule and take the online final exam with our proctoring company. Upon completion of the first and second courses of the program, you will be given more detailed instructions for "Scheduling Your Final Exam with ProctorU".
CALAOMS designates this activity for 12 continuing education credits. Upon successful completion of the “OMSA Re-Certification Course” and the final exam, the assistant will receive a new OMSA certificate.
OMSA "Re-Certification" Course Prerequisite:
You must provide a copy of your current BLS (Basic Life Support) certificate* and a copy of your current OMSA Certificate or Pocket Card when you register. If your OMSA Certificate has expired, you are required to register for the "OMSA Initial Certification Course" and complete the Initial course again. Extensions are not granted.
*Classroom-based BLS course or online BLS course work with in-person skills training is accepted. Online only BLS course is not accepted.
Please Fax BLS and OMSA certificates to CALAOMS at 916.772.9220.
Refund / Change / Cancel Policy:
~ Up to 60 days after you register, and you have not already completed the course, you may cancel with a full refund less a $25 administration fee.
~ After 60 days past your registration date, or if you have completed the course, refunds are not offered.
~ OMSA registration fees are Not transferable to other courses.
~ Any change to the registration is subject to a $25 or more administration fee.